07 September 2014

What am I up to???

I'm up to a lot of things these days! Fortunately, it's usually good things and I'm not getting into much trouble.
I'm back in school as a full time student and I AM going to finish- hopefully by Dec 2015 with an ACTUAL DEGREE instead of just a mish mash of credit hours.
I have around 90something credit hours now from the various schools I've attended (not even counting the Police Academy I went to).
Right now I'm taking some basic courses at Lonestar College that I need to get my BSW at TSU .
I've had higher level math, science, psych, history, blah blah blah... but I still have to take an Intro to computers course, Anatomy (which I avoided by taking Astronomy at Austin Peay) and Texas Government. The courses are a almost 1/2 the price at Lonestar so I'm enrolled at 2 colleges for this year. It's hectic, stressful and a lot of work but it will be worth it in the long run.
Anyway, for those who don't know- TSU is a HBCU (Historically Black College or University).
I'm a "non-traditional" student as it is since I'm in my late 30's and not a fresh out of high school youngin'. I'm also white/Caucasian. A lot of people in my life have been questioning my choice in attending TSU, especially considering my anxiety issues (maybe I'll get into that later- maybe not).
It boils down to this- TSU is a good school with a strong history and it offered the program I wanted and it allows admissions way past the deadlines for many other colleges.
While I have to say my first two weeks have been not the most comfortable it's because of issues I have had with my registration status and because of my own insecurities. The professors and staff have been excellent. Honestly, they're wayyyyy more helpful, interested and engaged than I've experienced at other colleges/universities (coughLonestarcoughcough) especially when it comes to following through. I'm not slamming my instructors this semester at Lonestar (especially the one who may be reading this because it's an assignment!) as I haven't had much interaction with them as yet. I am just saying that my choice to attend a traditionally black university may be unconventional but it's working for me. Haters gonna hate but I'm still just doing my thing.


No comments: